Sunday, March 11, 2012

Slow Cooker Spicy Roast


There are Sundays when I love nothing more than to spend half the day in the kitchen, preparing a labor intensive Sunday dinner. My girls play with Daddy, and I enjoy uninterrupted cooking time.

But there are always slow cooker Sundays. Today the weather was unseasonably beautiful for early March in Indianapolis, so we spent a good part of the morning flying kites. I was glad I had planned on a throw-it-in-the-slow-cooker-and-walk-away roast.

The hardest part of this roast is mixing together several spices. I've cut down on even that step by making several batches of the dry rub at a time and storing each 'serving' in a small re-sealable snack bag.

The paprika, chili powder and cayenne make this a tad on the spicy side, but not overly so. My kids will eat it without complaint, and they're generally not spicy eaters.

Slow Cooker Spicy Roast

Mix the following spices:
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp each: fresh ground pepper, chili powder, seasoned salt, onion powder, kosher salt
1/4 tsp each: cayenne, garlic powder

Rub the dry rub over the surface of a 2 or 3 lb. roast.

Add to the slow coker:
1 1/2 cups water
3 beef bouillon cubes (or 3 tsp beef base)
1/4 cup grated onion
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp kosher salt
roast with dry rub

Cook on high for about 4 hours, or on low for 8 hours.

Serve with veggies (I usually go for mashed potatoes and grilled asparagus) and the juice from the slow cooker.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...