Monday, March 19, 2012

Skillet Parmesan Croutons

This post is long over due.

When I started this blog, one of my early posts was for slow roasted tomato soup. It's my favorite soup, my winter comfort food.

As delicious as the soup is, it requires skillet parmesan croutons to make it complete. The flavor and texture of the croutons is the ultimate complement to the soup. And the croutons are even easier to make than the soup.

But wait, they're multi-purpose! Since winter is coming to a close and I'm learning to like salads, I've started adding the croutons to my salad. The croutons gives the salad a nice flavorful crunch, and makes me like salad a bit more.

I usually use the end of a homemade loaf of whole wheat bread for the croutons. A day-old baguette works well too.

Give these a try with your next batch of soup or salad. They are so much tastier than store-bought!

Parmesan Croutons
From In Jennie's Kitchen

2 cups day-old bread, cut into 1/4" chunks
1/2 tsp dried parsley
2 TB grated Parmesan cheese
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
4 tsp olive oil

Mix parsley, Parmesan, salt, pepper and olive oil.

Toss bread cubes in oil mixture until cubes are well coated.

Add bread cubes to a hot cast iron skillet over medium heat.

Cook bread cubes, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 10 minutes.

Serve with tomato soup or salad.

1 comment:

  1. Somebody LOVES me! Can't wait and no it's not too warm for soup. There's bound to be a rainy day here somewhere.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...