Wednesday, January 29, 2014

90 Minute, No Soak Beans



I've been using dried beans for a number of years now.  Quick soak method, over night method, both yielded fine results.  I would make a big batch of beans, then freeze them in can-size portions (about 1 1/2 cups).  But I was forever forgetting to soak them overnight, or remembering to soak and then burning them as they cooked on the stove top.  It got to be a pain and I would procrastinate making beans and then be irritated when there were no beans for a recipe I wanted to make.

I forget how I stumbled onto the 90 minute, no-soak bean method.  But I found it and I love it!  I use my Lodge 6 quart dutch oven for cooking the beans. I've successfully cooked black beans, white beans and pinto beans with this method.  It's as convenient as a slow cooker, once you've got the beans rinsed and the water boiling, you can put the pot in the oven and walk away.

And bonus...it's nice to have the oven on low on these chilly days, warming up my kitchen!

90 Minute, No-Soak Beans

Rinse beans, remove stones and broken pieces.

Add beans to dutch oven (or a pot with a tight fitting lid) and add enough water to cover by 1 ½ inches.  

Add 2 tsp salt.

Bring the water to a boil on the stovetop while the oven preheats to 275 degrees.  

Cover the pot and put in the oven for 75 minutes.  

Check on the beans after 45 minutes and add boiling water if needed (mine has never needed additional water).  
Check the beans for doneness at 75 minutes. Continue to cook in the oven for 15 minute increments if needed. 

Drain the beans and refrigerate or freeze as desired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...